Monday, April 4, 2011

Personal Hygiene

As I was in the shower this morning I was thinking about the personal hygiene of children.  Now that my children are getting older and more in charge of their own hygiene I find it interesting which child is super hygienic and which one lacks in that department.  My eleven year old daughter showers daily, brushes her teeth, combs her hair, washes her own clothes and her own bed sheets.  My nine year old son on the other hand is a different story.  We practically have to beg him to shower, we constantly have to remind him to brush his teeth, comb his hair and at least get his dirty clothes to the laundry room.  It is exhausting to keep on him.  I'm half tempted to tell him that he is in charge of his own hygiene, washing his own clothes and sheets and that we aren't going to say anything to him again.  I wonder if he'd go weeks and weeks and weeks without showering or wearing dirty clothes or if he'd start doing everything himself because HE is in charge and we aren't nagging him all the time.

The issue with my third child has become wiping. My four year old, like most four year olds, is not a good wiper.  You can tell when he comes home from preschool if he pooped there or not.  I still try to help him now and then and he does bathe regularly because of that!  All little kids tend to do is make a huge mess.  He'll get it all over the place and it's so gross! 

My own personal hygiene has improved since my kids have gotten older.  I now have the luxury of showering daily!  One never thinks that would be an accomplishment but for all of you with small children you know how easy it is for you to go a whole day without a shower!  Now my showering issue has been my lack of focus while I'm in the shower.  I need to get in, wash up and get out but instead I am thinking of so many other things that I've got to do and I forget whether or not I've washed my hair.  Yes, I have forgotten whether or not I've washed my hair!  I'll be so deep in thought that I don't remember what I did in the shower. I'll look around for evidence of shampoo suds on the shower curtain or walls and if I don't see any I'll just shampoo my hair again just to make sure.  One time after I got out of the shower I realized I had shaved one leg and not the other!  I must have really been deep in thought that day. 

I rarely ever forget to brush my teeth but I know I have on a rare occassion or two left the house without deoderant and I HATE that!  I need to put a travel deoderant in my purse because even if I didn't get a shower that day I can at least put on a fresh layer of deoderant.

Ya know what I do almost every day? I wash. Personal hygiene is part of the package with me.
Jim Carrey


No comments:

Post a Comment