Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Delicious Cookies

I love baking!  Cookies and bars are my favorite but I'll bake breads, tarts, cakes, pies and many other tasty treats.  My kids used to like to help me bake but now all they do is hover over me like vultures waiting to eat the cookie dough.  I recently baked a batch of cookies that normally yields four and a half dozen cookies.  My kids ate so much cookie dough that I only got three and a half dozen cookies out of that batch!!  Okay so maybe I helped them a little.

This summer we are going to make a list of several different kinds of baked goods that we want to try, some of them French inspired as the kids also want me to start teaching them French.  I'm not fluent by any means but I know enough to get them started and then we'll learn together as we go.  We'll learn French and bake and it will be a wonderful summer.  Seriously who am I kidding.  I'm sure the kids will have fun with it for a week or two tops but my dreams of becoming a French speaking pastry chef may come to a halt all too soon.

Despite what my children want to do I am still going to bake my list of treats and hopefully take a few baking classes in a neighboring town.  I will most definitely blog about our experiences and possibly my children will surprise me and have fun with it.  I guess we will see.

My favorite recipe and the most requested one so far is my Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.  My mom taught me this recipe when I was growing up and now my kids and husband request it weekly.  I like a little variety in life so I change up the kinds of chips I use..sometimes it might be milk chocolate, other times it might be peanut butter or butterscotch and sometimes I even mix two chips together.  This might sound risque I know! Heck next time I think I'll put all sorts of different chips in it!  Sometimes you just have to take risks!

Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream:
1 stick softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter flavored Crisco
Beat in:
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp water
3 eggs
Stir in:
3 1/3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
Once everything is mixed nicely add 18 oz of whatever kind of chips you like: milk chocolate, semi sweet, peanut butter, butterscotch, white, or once I even tried the mini Reese's Pieces and mini M&M's.

Drop but spoonfuls on cookie sheet and place in oven that has been preheated to 375 for 8 to 10 minutes. 

I just did this all by memory so I'd better double check my recipe.  Please sing elevator to yourself while I check.....Yes, it's correct.  I love pictures of food and promise on my next blogs I'll have pictures.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment