Sunday, April 10, 2011

I Told You So

I don't know about you but one thing that really peeves me off is when my husband gives me some helpful advice that I choose NOT to follow and then he ends up being right.  Sometimes I just like to do things a certain way and I'm going to do them my way because I'm stubborn and then I end up kicking myself later because HE was right!

For instance the other day we were expecting company and like most of us we clean our homes better for company than we do for ourselves.  I knew I had to clean the kitchen floor which is my least favorite chore.  I will sweep and mop and scrub and five minutes later it will be dirty again.  I have three kids and a husband and they can make for a very messy crew.  Since I hate cleaning the kitchen floor I decided to get it done first then do some other chores.  My husband, knowing our kids, suggested I wait and clean the floor last.  I didn't want to clean the floor last, I hate cleaning that floor and I wanted it cleaned and over with!

So in my stubbornness I cleaned the floor first, then did the dishes, the laundry, the bathrooms etc.  My boys had been playing outside in the timber and came into the house via the kitchen and even though they had taken their shoes off they had bits of leaves and dirt on their pants which tracked through my kitchen.  I sighed and swept up the mess.  Then my four year old ate a cookie and made a mess of crumbs.  I too cleaned that up, then when I left to use the restroom I came back into the kitchen to see that my four year old decided to help himself to some Kool-Aid and spilled an entire two quart pitcher all over my CLEAN floor!!!

So what did I do?  I quickly sopped up the Kool-Aid, cleaned the sticky spot with soap and water, dried the floor and and got rid of all the evidence before my husband realized that I actually had to clean that darn floor several times that day.  He was right, I should've just waited to do that floor right before our guests arrived.  Man, I hate it when he's right!

"I am glad that I paid so little attention to good advice; had I abided by it I might have been saved from some of my most valuable mistakes. "
- Edna St. Vincent Millay

No comments:

Post a Comment