Thursday, March 15, 2012

Savory Chicken Stew

Even though I love dessert, I do like other foods too!  One day while my husband, Ben, and I were waiting for our son to finish swimming lessons, Ben found this recipe and we decided to try it adding our own twist.  This stew is hearty and perfect for a cold, wet day.  Ben and I made this stew in a crock pot and it's great with crackers, croutons or crusty bread.  Here is our recipe:
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 6 cups skinless chicken breast (we found 4 large chicken breasts worked well)
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 cups water
  • 4 beef bullion cubes
  • 1 14oz can diced tomatoes with liquid
  • 1/2 cup brown rice (uncooked)
  • 2 cups celery, roughly chopped
  • 2 cups carrots, roughly chopped ( I chopped baby carrots that were already peeled and ready to eat)
  • 8-10 whole peeled garlic cloves
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste or 1 6oz can (we used the whole can because we weren't going to waste any)
  • 2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (or 1 can of green beans)
  • 1 1/2 cups whole pearl onions, skins removed (these come in a can or jar, or if you want to use fresh pearl onions boil them in water for a few minutes, drain, then plunge into ice-water to cool.  The skins will slide right off then. I thought I could just skin them all using a knife without the water trick and it took me forever!)
  • Salt to taste

First brown meat then add everything into a crock pot.  Cook on medium-low for 4 to 5 hours or until meat is tender.  This stew is super easy and tasty!

It was so nice I had to take my pictures outside today!

A bowl for myself.


I absolutely love every one's comments and suggestions.  Going forward my blog will have more pictures with lighter dishes and beautiful backgrounds...I am a photographer in training.  I will also have recipes each week along with funny stories, and I want to share more about the beautiful resort town I live in.  I'll be sharing more about fun things in my area, it could be entertainment, home decor, fashion, local legends etc.  So keep the suggestions and comments coming!  I love them!


No comments:

Post a Comment