Friday, March 23, 2012

Banana Bread and Homemade Butter

My kids seem to eat bananas in spurts. One week they'll gobble them up, the next week I'll have a few black ones sitting on the counter.  I really don't mind those ripe bananas, because they make the best banana bread.  I love the aroma of fresh baked bread throughout my home and my favorite is the eat it warm right out of the oven. My banana bread recipe makes two loaves so I usually let the kids eat one loaf, and I freeze the second one for a later day.  This recipe does call for three ripe bananas, so you can either set aside three bananas to ripen or you can freeze them as you get them.  Yes, I've often times only had one banana no one wanted to eat so I'd stick it in the freezer and wait for another ripened banana.  Once I had three bananas I would make my bread.

Not only do my kids love banana bread they love making homemade butter.  This is a very simple recipe that my mother-in-law taught my kids a few years ago.  One day my kids came home from her house talking about making butter so I had to get the recipe!

For the banana bread you'll need:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening (I use butter flavored Crisco)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons sour cream
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt

Mix in order given.



The mixture will be smooth and creamy once mixed.  Place in two greased loaf pans.  Of course I'm only showing one here, but you can make two nice loaves out of this recipe.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  I like to bake mine for about 50 minutes and then prick it with a fork to make sure it's done.




Homemade Butter
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • Salt to taste
In a mixing bowl whip the whipping cream and salt until thick and creamy.  Then spread on the banana bread.  This is delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment