Monday, March 26, 2012

Ice Cream Oreo Dessert

I know, I know, I owe you a lemon tart and I WILL get to that posted this week.  My mommy brain has kicked in, and I keep forgetting to pick up the tart pan I need for that dessert.  I've made the tart before but borrowed my mom's pan.  As I've said, I don't have all the latest baking gadgets but I'm getting there.

This weekend I made an ice cream Oreo dessert that was simply mouthwatering.  Literally, my mouth watered as I served myself up a piece.  Part of the fun of this dessert was that I got to use my new food processor that my parents got me for Christmas and boy was that fun!  This dessert includes all of my favorites; Oreos, ice cream, fudge and Cool Whip and combines them into a rich and creamy treat.

For this dessert you will need:
  • 1 package Oreos
  • 1/4 c. melted butter
  • 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream softened
  • 1 8oz tub of Cool Whip
  • 1 4oz bar of German chocolate (found in the baking section...green box)
  • 2/3 c. evaporated milk
  • 1/2 c. margarine
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • dash of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
First set ice cream out to soften.  Next place 25 Oreos in food processor and pulse while adding 1/4 c. melted butter.  If you don't have a food processor you can put the cookies in a plastic bag and hit with a spoon until crushed, then pour into pan, add melted butter and combine.  Once you've got your Oreo/butter mixture complete press into 9x13 pan.  Place pan in freezer.



Now on to the homemade fudge.  If you wanted to save time you could substitute this for a jar of fudge but this homemade version only takes about 5 minutes and it's well worth the time!  In a sauce pan heat German chocolate, milk, margarine, sugar and salt until smooth then boil for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Set aside to cool completely.


Next pull pan from freezer and spoon in the softened ice cream spreading evenly.  Place pan back in freezer for about 15 minutes or until fudge is cooled.  Pour fudge over ice cream and spread evenly, place back in freezer until ready to serve.  I top with Cool Whip and sprinkle with more crushed Oreos just before serving but you can do that step earlier and freeze if you like.


Let sit out for about 15 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment