Monday, March 5, 2012

I Want to be Uncomfortable

The one thing I've noticed about children is that they are resilient.  Most of them adapt easily to new situations, they try new things and they make friends very quickly.  You could drop me off at a meeting with a dozen people I've never met before and I'm going to be a bit shy.  Not kids, they will have made five friends by the end of the day, and I wouldn't have even spoken to one person. Okay that might not be entirely true, I would strike up a conversation with at least one person. 

As we age we get very comfortable with our lives, our jobs and our friends.  Which is not a bad thing, however, when we aren't challenging ourselves than we are no longer growing as individuals.  I'll be honest, I was not crazy about moving to a new state or having to make new friends.  I already had a home and I already had friends.  I was very comfortable where I was at.  Moving was hard at first but then I realized that I was just given the opportunity to learn and grow as person.  This was another adventure and I was going to make the most of it and I have.  I've only been here for less than six months, but I've meet some really great people, I've got an awesome freelance writing gig lined up for this summer and my business is growing.  I've met some very ambitious people who have inspired me to step outside of my comfort zone and live life.  I've got a lot of goals I want to accomplish in this lifetime and I'm not going to accomplish them by being comfortable.

Just for a day try something you normally wouldn't.  Talk to a new person, apply for a job you'd love to have but don't think you can get, try a crazy new recipe or chop off your hair.  It doesn't have to be big just something different, something that makes you a little bit uncomfortable.


"A dream is your creative vision for your life in the future. You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown.”  Denis Waitley

No comments:

Post a Comment