Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Simmer Down Now

I think one of the hardest things for me to do now as a mom is to watch my kids play sports.  They are frustrated and learning and since I know all the rules I have this urge to go out and do it for them.  Wouldn't that be something...to watch a mom go out to third base and relieve her son, or a mom decide she's going to pitch the rest of the game.  Now I know what my parents went through watching every sporting event I was in and now I really appreciate that!  They made it to every game and now my husband and I are doing the same for our kids.  I will be honest, watching super young kids in sports is a bit like watching a pond freeze over but they have to learn sometime.

The lack of agressiveness is what I see in a lot of the 3rd thru 6th graders that I watch.  I guess we teach them growing up to be calm and polite and then they get to sports and we teach them to be agressive and not polite and maybe they get confused.  The other day in my daughter's 5th and 6th grade game our team's base runner was standing on 2nd base when the opposing teams catcher overthrew to the pitcher.  Our base runner bent down and picked up the ball and handed it to the second baseman!  The coach yelled at her not to touch the ball!!  But she was being polite and thought she'd help the other team out.  My daughter was going to catch a pop fly when she saw her friend near by and thought her friend was going to get it so my daughter lowered her glove and the ball hit her smack dab on the face!  That was a lesson learned!

I wish I could get inside their heads to understand their thinking.  It seems at times that coaches are having to repeat themselves over and over again and the kids still don't get it.  I guess it's just like at home. I have one child that I have to ask EVERY morning if he combed his hair, brushed his teeth and put on his deoderant and almost EVERY morning he has not done these things.  You would think that after 365 days a person wouldn't have to be reminded to do something.  Oh crap!  That reminds me I have to go water the flowers.

Every year for Mother's Day my husband gets me flowers for my pots and every year I forget to water them.  Hmmm, I guess that is where my kids get it.  :) LOL!  I  guess I just have to remember to simmer down.  My kids are not me and I am not them and they have to make mistakes and learn from them and I will probably go crazy trying to teach them that!

"Success seems to be connected with action.  Successful people keep moving.  They make mistakes, but they don't quit."  Conrad Hilton

No comments:

Post a Comment