Monday, May 2, 2011

Cardamom Cookies

I really should carry around a pen and paper with me so I can write down all the funny things my kids say.  We had a lot of fun this weekend playing outside in the beautiful weather!  The kids rode four-wheelers, went fishing, we hunted for mushrooms, we visited some friends at a nearby campground and we roasted marshmallows. 

I find it interesting how kids want to eat a s'more so fast that they purposely burn the marshmallow just so it gets done faster.  Heck, I guess I know adults who do the same!  I love to slowly roast mine until it's golden brown and super gooey in the middle.  How do you like to roast your marshmallows?

Yesterday my three year old wanted to play t-ball outside and so I told him to get dressed and I'd go out with him.  He comes out of his room wearing a tank top and shorts.  It was 50 degrees outside!  Anyway I told him he'd need a pair of pants over his shorts and a sweatshirt over his tank top and he'd be good to go.  He comes back out of his room with a pair of mesh pants and a sweatshirt.  I was going to help him put his pants on when he said, "Wait I have an idea.  Why don't I put my shorts over my pants."  He really wanted everyone to see he had shorts on and when you have kids especially multiple children you learn to pick your battles so of course I said, "Ok."  So he dressed himself and put his shorts over his mesh pants, put a hooded sweatshirt over his tank top and then put on cowboy boots.  I think he's going to start some sort of fashion trend here!

I baked again this past week and am a bit behind on blogging about it.  I made Cardamom Cookies and they are so delicious.  They are a melt in your mouth shortbread covered with confectioner's sugar and pretty tasty with a tall glass of milk.  Enjoy!

Cardamom Cookies

 Ingredients

  • 2 cups butter, softened
  • 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
  • 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup finely chopped walnuts

Directions

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, cardamom and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts.
  • Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until edges are golden.
  • Roll warm cookies in remaining confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 6 dozen.
"You know what would make a good story?  Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad.  Also, he has severe diarrhea."  Jack Handy

No comments:

Post a Comment