Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Practice What You Preach

I find it interesting now that I'm a mom I find myself with the double standard that my kids can be whatever they want to be but I can't.  Do you know what I mean?  I put limitations on myself because I'm a mom however I tell my kids that no matter what they can do whatever they set their minds to.  I guess that doesn't make me a very good role model does it.  I am going to try and change my ways.  My kids have always known that I love to write and that I'd love to put out a bestseller someday yet I feel like I've been very poor at managing my time lately.  I try to write posts for my blog two to four times a week, I run a company, I take care of my kids and the house and the bills etc. but I CAN find time to write if I REALLY wanted to and I should!!  I have a file of a bazillion ideas and I need to pick one and stick to it.  I need to take the time to polish my writing skills and increase my ability to paint a picture with words.  I lay awake at night thinking of different ideas and I tuck them away in a file on my computer.  Some of the more interesting ones I've actually starting writing but haven't finished them because I lack focus.  I always think of better ideas and will start a new book before I've finished the last one and that's not like me!  In every other aspect of my life I am organized, a logical thinker and like to finish projects before I start new ones but when it comes to my writing I guess my artsy fartsy right brain takes over.

In fact I'll share some ideas with you and you can feel free to comment on whether they are dumb or not.  Actually these ideas have already been sent as queries to an agent or two and I'm sure I'll be receiving my rejections shortly.  Also since there are only two people who read this blog, my mom and her cat, I'm not too worried about anyone stealing my ideas.  Actually my mom doesn't have a cat so only one, one person reads this blog.

1.  Shiloh Winter - An ex-CIA agent and her husband are on the run from the United States and Pakistani governments for allegedly stealing the 27 million dollar bounty for Osama Bin Laden's capture.

2.  SPC 101 - A 35 year old man decides to go back to community college to finish his business degree and enrolls in a two week condensed speech class that changes his life.  (This book would be humorous fiction and even though this will be fiction lets just say that I couldn't make most of this stuff up even if I tried!)

3. The Dawn of Darwin - A young doctor is burdened with the paranormal ability to save lives by taking them from others.

So now you've taken a peak into what goes on in my right brain.  It's a gift and a curse all in one.  Some people are more creative and others are more analytical and logical.  I would say that my left brain and right brain have been duking it out my entire life, in fact I took a test to determine which side of my brain I use more and my left brain won out 57% to 43%.  I guess I am more of a logical and analytical thinker even though I like to be creative as well.

"You can't process me with a normal brain." Charlie Sheen


No comments:

Post a Comment