Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Note to Self

I was watching a news program this morning while I was eating my breakfast, and they had a segment called 'Note to Self' where Maya Angelou read a letter that she wrote to her fifteen-year-old self.  Now at eighty three, and the fact that she is Maya Angelou, the woman is pretty wise.  If you could write a letter to your younger self what advice would you give your self?  I've often talked to friends and family about this over the years and a few of the commonalities are as follows:

1) Find your passion - research career options a bit more and spend more time job shadowing.
2) Relax - you will get through things, sometimes the things we get so worked up about aren't big deals at all.
3) Be nice and tell people you appreciate them - sometimes our younger selves were snots!
4) Enjoy life - get outside, try new things, take advantage of great opportunities and have fun!

I've written about it before but what would your younger self write to your older self?

1) Be fearless
2) Dance in the rain
3) Stay active
4) Write down all the funny stuff in laugh that happens so your kids can read it later

Last night my four-year-old told me he was going to grow up, get married, live by the ocean and have two black labs.  That kid is so random about his future but it seems he thinks about it a lot, which I find strange for a child that young.  Right now my oldest wants to be a teacher when she grows up and my middle child wants to be an architect.  I think when I was their age I wanted to be an astronaut.  It's fun to watch their career choices change as they grow up.  Some of us still don't know what we want to be when we grow up...maybe I'll have to make my next post about finding your passion in life.

When work, commitment, and pleasure all become one and you reach that deep well where passion lives, nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment